Vincent Van Gogh taught in a school in Ramsgate and lived close by. James Tissot painted here. I love Tissot's paintings especially the detailing on the clothes of the Victorian women.
James Tissot
Pugin lived here for many years and built his home and church on the seafront.
Augustus Pugin came to Ramsgate in 1843.Here he built St Augustine’s Grange.
Frith painted Ramsgate Sands in 1852-4
Here is a picture of the Sands 2012. A little less crowded.




Queen Victoria regularly spent holidays at Townley House in Ramsgate when she was a child - and bought Frith's painting of the sands later in her life. (I love the red brick Home for Smack Boys near the seafront).
ReplyDeleteHere I sat, enjoying your photos, when I saw "the Grand Old Duke of York". I now have a song running through my head that a music teacher taught to some kindergarten students. It may be stuck there all evening...
ReplyDelete-Karen :)
Ahhh....Tissot, a favourite painter of mine......and another beautiful post about Kent......wonderfully written as always!
ReplyDeleteKaren