O down in the Orchard
O down in the orchard
'Tis Harvesting time,
And up the tall ladders
The fruit pickers climb.
So begins a poem from my childhood and although with delight I looked at our apple trees, I was also wishing I had a merry band of apple pickers. Having for two weeks already began processing the windfalls I see that the branches are heavily laiden. Now this is the time of year (well actually this is usually a September job) for me to dust down all my apple recipe cards . Already, we are tucking into the quick stewed apples and crumbles and yes freezing them but now is the time for French apple slice, apple cakes etc etc
It is also the time for trying out new 'apple' recipes that can be added to my cards. We do have one lovely apple tree that produces apples that need no cooking it's the variety known as James Grieves and is simply delish!
I'm getting rather hungry just reading this...
ReplyDelete