Snowdrops
I like to think
That, long ago,
There fell to earth
Some flakes of snow
Which loved this cold,
Grey world of ours
So much, they stayed
As snowdrop flowers.
This is a poem that I used to recite to my children many years ago and still each year I think of it as soon as the snowdrops appear.(I do not know who wrote this poem) This is a lovely time of year in the garden when the snowdrops crocus and aconites appear. A promise of what is to come. I took these photos on a lovely sunny day last week and now these little fragile spring flowers are taking a battering from the wind , rain and cold nights. For the last few days it has certainly been a cold grey world in this South Eastern part of England.
I am linking this with Karen at My Little House and Garden for Sunlit Sunday
Oh, your flowers are lovely! The crocus (or crocuses?) are beautiful in the dappled light.
ReplyDelete-Lynn
Beautiful flower pics :D
ReplyDeleteIt's too early for crocuses here, but I do have some snowdrops in the front garden. They don't have the little touch of green on the petals, so must be a slightly different variety. It's so nice that you would recite the pleasant poem to your children.I still have lines of poetry, from childhood, that run through my head.
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking to Sunlit Sunday.
-Karen
The purple littler flowers are so fragile and pretty. Looks like they are whispering on the green each other. I like the way you focus on the flowers.
ReplyDeleteHave a good day!
RedRose,Tomoko
The snow drops are JUST so innocent and pretty and all of the photos give me heart that spring may nearly be with us.
ReplyDeleteKaren
Your photos really do sum up the flowers I've seen over the last few days, and we have a few daffs around, it is so sheltered! I just love that poem, and am going to copy it into my note book, with Anon via Kentish Keg Meg beside it, so I'll always remember where I first read it.
ReplyDeleteHello from Kansas! I love snowdrops ...I remember seeing them when my daughter and I were in England visiting my sister and her family in Feb/Mar 1991. We were at Cambridge University taking in the sights when I was in awe of all the crocuses growing in the lawns there..it was just gorgeous. I see you are in Kent...such a pretty area. I remember travelling down a highway from London on our way to Lullingstone (not sure of the spelling) and seeing the hills. Then in 99 we were traveling to Dover on our way to catch the ferry to Calais and then onto Paris. Lovely countryside! Thanks for commenting on my blog about netting your tulips to keep the squirrels out. I'm going to have to try that or chicken wire this fall as I would REALLY like to grow tulips again. I hope your day has been a good one so far.
ReplyDeleteMaura :)
Lovely poem, such a sweet idea, and such beautiful snowdrops. They really are such pure, perfect little flowers aren't they?
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Helen x