Sunday, 27 May 2012

Chartwell, croquet and champers.....

Busy busy week and the weather has been splendid for all outdoors activities. Mr and
I went to Chartwell , near Westerham .It is a place we visit very often just to wander in the garden . Sometimes, when it is not crowded late or early season we will go into the house. This was the home of Sir Winston Churchill. A beautiful house and splendid gardens.


 The Rose Walk up to the sundial.

Anyone for croquet?


 Such an immaculate croquet lawn at Chartwell. I have played croquet  and I found it quite difficult to get the ball trough those hoops. I love this picture by Manet of a Croquet party(although the lawn needs some attention).

A Croquet Party

Edouard Manet 1873


I had a birthday during the week and enjoyed a little family gathering in my daughter's garden where we had strawberries and champagne.




My daughter  even put out the bunting for me. I love bunting at any time.

 

 Here is some I have made ready for the Jubilee. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Belated happy birthday Meg
    lovely that your daughter was so thoughtful
    and put up the bunting and everything else.

    Love the house
    absolutely beautiful
    thanks for sharing your photos.

    Have a great week
    and a glass or two of bubbly
    just becuase..........



    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday and what a FABULOUS post too! I loved my visit and it's a shame that I can't share the champers! I also have a very soft spot for that Manet painting too.....you are another May baby, mine was at the beginning of the month! Karen (I have just returned from the UK where I spent 5 weeks and am catching up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Birthday Greetings, Fiona; I had one myself a week ago.
    It's looking very festive at your home. Have a Happy Jubilee!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday! I love Chartwell too, and try to visit atleast once a year.I especially love the studio and it never ceases to amaze me how he found time to be such a prolific artist as well as author, whilst being a prominent politician and Prime Minister twice!

    ReplyDelete