Monday, 5 December 2011

Painting Canada Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven

Yesterday, I took time out from Christmas preparations to go to Dulwich Picture Gallery to see the paintings of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.  I have been meaning to get there since the exhibition opened. I was not disappointed and had a fabulous time .

Tom Thomson  The Jack Pine


As the blurb said ,' A group of artists started to engage with the awesome Canadian wilderness.' certainly this exhibition was awesome.

 As you can see the exhibition closes early January.
 Dulwich Picture Gallery has a great permanent collection .

For interest the names of the artists in the Group of Seven are J.E.H.MacDonald, A.Y.Jackson, Lawren Harris, Arthur Lisper, Frederick Horsman Varley, Franklin Carmichael and Frank Johnston. They were painting in the early 20th Century. Great to see paintings here that you can normally only  see in Canada.










3 comments:

  1. This post certainly caught my eye. I'm so glad you like these Canadian treasures.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing these paintings in Ontario, it must have been 30 years ago, they were wonderful. The book is still at my parent's house, I must look it up. I know I won't be able to get to Dulwich, but I am glad you got to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and one of my favourite artists ~ a Canadian friend sent me some post cards of his paintings......lovely!

    ReplyDelete