Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Pause and reflection....... time for Betjeman.

Christmas is drawing ever closer and I plan in  some time  from festive preparations to pause , reflect and to enjoy December.













This week we had some beautiful sunny days in between the stormy ones and I went for a walk with my Faithful Four Legged Friend. We took a coastal path and walked alongside the Golf Links. There we saw plenty of people taking time out from festive preparations . Good for them to get out in the beautiful sunshine for a few hours. Whenever, I am passing the Links I like to think about John Betjeman's poem Seaside Golf. I love this poem.


Seaside Golf

How straight it flew, how long it flew,
It clear'd the rutty track
And soaring, disappeared from view
Beyond the bunker's back -
A glorious, sailing, bounding drive
That made me glad I was alive.

And down the fairway, far along
It glowed a lonely white;
I played an iron sure and strong
And clipp'd it out of sight,
And spite of grassy banks between
I knew I'd find it on the green.

And so I did. It lay content
Two paces from the pin;
A steady putt and then it went
Oh, most surely in.
The very turf rejoiced to see
That quite unprecedented three.

Ah! Seaweed smells from sandy caves
And thyme and mist in whiffs,
In-coming tide, Atlantic waves
Slapping the sunny cliffs,
Lark song and sea sounds in the air
And splendour, splendour everywhere. 
So, I encourage you  to take some time out to enjoy December whatever the weather. I was looking at my book The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden and noticed that on 14th December she recorded heavy snow. I have heard on the news that some Southern counties are getting snow at the moment. Brrrrr wonder if it will be making it's way to Kent .

4 comments:

  1. How VERY spooky in a wonderful way! I was looking at that VERY same book and that VERY same passage last night!! I read it out to my husband and we discussed the weather for a while......amazing! LOVELY poem and LOVELY photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm somewhere between the sunny links and the snowing winter season. It's going up to about 10 Celsius tomorrow, rather odd for December! It would be nice to see some pretty snow.
    -Karen ❄

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the snow stays away for another few days, I'd love a white Christmas though, last year was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post...I loved the poem which is one I don't know (but should, as we often walk next to a seaside golf course too!) And the Country Diary has long been a favourite of mine, since it was first published all those years ago...like you I sometimes enjoy seeing what Edith recorded for the equivalent day. And we DID have snow here this morning...but only a light dusting! Have a great weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete