This picture is taken from An Edwardian Christmas by John Goodall.
Charles Dickens in his Christmas short stories writes a story entitled 'A Christmas Tree' (1850) where he describes the decorations.
'..and towered above their heads. It was brilliantly lighted by a multitude of tapers; and everywhere sparkled and glittered with bright objects.' He goes on to describe in over half a page what was embellishing that tree. Dolls, real watches , domestic furniture made of tin, sugar-plums,fiddles,drums and so on. There must have been little of the tree visible.
My tree decorations are eclectic. All have memories attached to them. Some have been given, some were made by my grown-up children when they were little,and some inherited.
It is always so nice to get out the homemade decorations and remember days gone by. I've got to get into the festive season after our month away.
ReplyDeleteOh! I love an eclectic tree. Once or twice I have tried for something truly coordinated but my sons and now my little girl would never forgive me if I didn't have choice decorations on the tree.
ReplyDeleteI bet the smell of pine in your house is wonderful Meg.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing like decoratng the tree,
looking at decorations that bring back lovely memories,
heaven...............
Have a great week.
Fiona x
Eclectic trees are my favourite. Each ornament has a memory or a person that you remember when you see it and becomes a story in itself.
ReplyDeleteEclectic and random trees are my favourite ~ one with toilet roll ornaments and antique baubles! I also adore FRESH trees too and I can almost smell your tree from here!
ReplyDeleteAfter a few truly crazy weeks I am so behind with my blog reading, but I have just had a lovely long catch up here. And how better to finish than with a Christmas tree. Christmas does seem to be rather hurtling towards us now doesn't it, I certainly can't keep pretending that it's months away!
ReplyDelete