Friday, 20 April 2012

"To go to oven"

To go to oven in old Kentish dialect meant to go to bake. That's what I did today. The weather has been changeable with some heavy showers and a clap of thunder thrown in so it was an indoors day. My current read is The Old Wives Tale (set in the Victorian period) by Arnold Bennett and he describes Mrs Baines as having a Pastry Day weekly.

'The day sanctioned by custom in the Five Towns for the making of pastry is Saturday. But Mrs Baines made her pastry on a Friday,......Mrs Baines wore black alpaca,shielded by a white apron whose string drew attention to the amplitude of her waist.Her sleeves were turned up, and her hands as far as the knuckles, covered in damp flour. Her ageless smooth paste-board occupied a corner of the table and near it were her paste-roller,butter and some pie dishes.'

Well today I had a baking day and 'went to oven' . I didn't use my pastry board or roller but made  chocolate cupcakes and rock cakes to restock my depleted store as my son has been home for a few weeks.
Rock cakes were the first cakes I learnt to make and are a favourite here so on a baking day they are usually on the list to make.

Baking day is also the day when  I will look through my books and pick out a new recipe to try for the next session. It gives me time to gather the ingredients and look over the recipe and to add other recipes for the ' to oven' time.Some of my books are very old and some are family notebooks from my Mother, Grandmother and Great Gran. They contain newspaper cuttings from the 1930's ,40's .



The top book was published in 1910 and has been in the family since then with other books.
Today I also made a rice pudding as I love rice puds covered in nutmeg. My Mother used to make a fabulous one. She also had a day when she would make suet and we would have savoury and sweet dishes steamed in the same pan.

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely post! I love to hear all these old sayings and phrases!
    How marvellous that you have such a personal and old collection of recipes handed down, some with the original newspaper cuttings - very special.
    You have some wonderful old cookbooks too!
    I love rice pudding with nutmeg too - for an easy to make, cheap and comfort making pudding you just can't beat one - if you can wait the two or so hours!
    Happy Baking Day - your rock cakes look yummy!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous post and snap, I also posted about Arnold Bennett today in a more culinary manner! I adore rock cakes and LOVE that old book and news paper clippings too......Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous, mouthwatering post! I love to see old cookery notebooks and magazine cuttings etc., I'm such a nostalgic :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the wonderful aromas that must have filled your home on your baking day. You're fortunate to have such treasured recipes and books from your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous post. Baking days are always my favourite of the week. I love the newspaper cutouts and the old family cookery books, what wonderful treasures you have:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! How wonderful to have these family heirlooms! I remember hearing tales of my grandmother's recipe book where she had written all her favorites. I've always wondered what happened to it. My mother didn't know. I think it's a brilliant idea to choose the recipe a week in advance to give yourself time to collect the ingredients! I'm either having to go to the store at the last minute, or, and this is more likely, not baking at all because I don't want to go to the store!

    ReplyDelete