Monday, 31 October 2011

Apple,Fig and Cobnut Flapjacks.

As today was the last day of October and it was dark soooooo early  I needed to cook some comfort food. So it had to be apple, fig and cobnut flapjacks. I use a recipe from a Good Food magazine cook book. The recipe uses walnuts but as I have cobnuts I used those instead.



 450g/1lb Bramley apples peeled and cored
25g/1oz caster sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
100g/4oz dried ready to eat figs chopped
50g/2oz light muscovado sugar
140g/5oz butter
140g/5oz golden syrup
250g/9oz oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
25g/1oz walnuts (I used cobnuts)

  • Preheat oven to 190C/ gas 5.Slice the apples ,put into a small pan with a little water ,sugar.zest and simmer until apple is soft. Add figs and cook for about 15mins. Whizz into a puree.
  • Melt butter, muscovado sugar and syrup in a pan. Stir in the oats, cinnamon and nuts.
  • Press half the mixture into an 18cm/7in square tin.Spread the puree on top and cover with the rest of the mixture.
  • Bake for 25 mins until golden . Mark into squares and cool.
Colour in my garden during October




6 comments:

  1. Great recipe Meg

    and wow your garden is still looking brilliant, the colours are lovely.


    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful and delicious sounding bake for a dark autumn evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got so much colour in your garden for this time of year, I'm a little jealous of all those blooms. I'm in zone 5 so we're getting bundled up for winter now making lots of apple cider and putting all the flowers to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm flapjacks are so yummy and this recipe looks especially delicious. Your garden pictures are delightful...so colourful still.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flapjacks! I have 10kgs of apples from our local orchard at the moment and I am dying to make an apple cake of some sorts... but sadly I am plagued with bronchitis right now so I don't have the energy!

    I always pop over here when I am feeling a little homesick for Kent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flapjacks look fabulous!! Most definitely comfort baking for these darker afternoons... if only I was a better cook!

    Lovely pics of your garden too! :)
    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete