I like the smaller scale of this Cathedral and its garden makes a welcome refuge from the hustle and bustle of the station and Borough Market. These were a welcome sight growing against the Cathedral walls.
Next past the Golden Hind, well a replica of Sir Francis Drake's ship that circumnavigated the world in 1577-1580.
Then along Clink street past the remains of Winchester Palace founded in the 12th century and on to the Clink Prison now a Museum.
Under Southwark Bridge built in 1921.
Past Cardinal's Wharf and the house where Sir Christopher Wren stayed when St Paul's Cathedral was being constructed .
Across the river he could see St Paul's being constructed.
Arriving at the Tate Modern Mr. went across the river to his concert and I went in to the Gerhard Richter exhibition.
I had taken a walk through history but then London is like that, the old jostling with the new. If the names of the newer architects will be remembered in the future remains to be seen , but Sir Christopher Wren certainly left his mark on London . These are the first eight lines of a poem by Hugh Chesterman written circa 1920's.
Clever men
Like Christopher Wren
Only occur just now and then.
No one expects
In perpetuity
Architects of his ingenuity;
No, never a cleverer dipped his pen
Than clever Sir Christopher - Christopher Wren,
Like Christopher Wren
Only occur just now and then.
No one expects
In perpetuity
Architects of his ingenuity;
No, never a cleverer dipped his pen
Than clever Sir Christopher - Christopher Wren,
LOVELY LOVELY London, I do love London and if I ever won the lottery I would buy a small pad in London to go to when I wanted to see the theatre and visit the museums etc! Great virtual visit and photos.
ReplyDelete