Sunday, 13 November 2011

Stories, cooking and enjoyment.



Banana and Kentish Cobnut Muffin

   


Kentish cobnuts in husks
 
 Some readers have asked me for further info about the Kentish Cobnut so I thought put this into a post.
The Kentish cobnut is a type of cultivated hazelnut. They were planted in large quantities across Kent during the early 19th century. The nuts are grown  in  cobnut platts ( nut orchards).



As a child to see the cobnuts  in the boxes outside the greengrocers  was a sure sign of Autumn.
 
Yesterday, I cooked Banana and Kentish cobnut muffins drizzled with apricot jam. No cooking session would be complete without listening to Radio 4 extra . I listened to  short stories by author Dorothy Whipple (1893-1966). I  love to listen to audio stories,  for me, it's a real joy having stories and poems read to you.  Love to listen to storytellers.




With the muffin I had a glass of  Apple, Cherry and Damson fruit juice made in Lamberhurst Kent and sat for a few quiet moments on the step in the garden .

5 comments:

  1. What a perfect day. I don't think ive had a cobnut. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful combination...cooking such tasty treats while listening to the short stories of Dorothy Whipple...perfect! (I'm reading her novel Greenbanks at the moment). Love the pictures of the cobnuts, how pretty they look in the husks. Have a happy week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire you using local ingredients, and aren't the Dorothy Whipple stories superb, I heard the pm when they were on Radio 4 a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to try cobnuts - I have heard of them ... just never eaten them, to my knowledge. Those cakes look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am another Dorothy Whipple fan and this is a glorious post ~ Love the fact that you use wonderful local ingredients such as Kentish cobnuts!

    ReplyDelete