Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Kate at What Kate Baked are co-hosting a great event "Tea Time Treats". This month's theme, which is being hosted by Karen, is Ginger and Bonfire treats.
I have chosen to make a favourite of mine because it is a Kentish recipe. Kentish Cob-nut Cake which includes ginger. It comes from a book called English teatime recipes (Traditional cakes from around the counties.)
- 8oz self-raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp ground ginger
- 4oz marg/butter
- 4oz brown sugar
- 2-3oz Kentish cob-nuts (hazelnuts can be substituted, if desired)
- 1 large egg, beaten.
Set oven to 350F or gas mark 4.
Grease a 9 inch x4inch loaf tinSift flour and ginger into a bowl and rub in marg /butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Add sugar and the nuts.
Mix in the beaten egg, keeping the mixture crumbly..
Put into the tin
Bake for 30 mins
Perfect for an Autumn tea time.
Ooh, this sounds and looks delicious! XOLaura
ReplyDeleteI am SO sorry that Kate and I missed this entry!! I have been ill as you know and not online much.......but I am here now and I am SO pleased that you incorporated some Kentish cob nuts into your entry too! Just perfect! Thanks for your email alerting me to this post......and also for the end of month round up too!
ReplyDeleteKaren
I've never had cob nuts. I've seen them and they look so much fresher than hazelnuts. Your cake looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteLooks great. I've never had cob nuts - must look out for those next time.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your entry! I too am new to cobnuts, I'm afraid I've never come across them before, can you tell me a little more about them?
ReplyDelete