Monday, 9 January 2012

Entering a blue box and saving the Dr.

A few days ago I went up to London and my first port of call was Lord Leighton's House in Holland Park Road South Kensington .
Lord Frederick Leighton was a painter and sculptor. His paintings depict  historical, biblical and classical subject matter. He was the first painter to be given a peerage, in the New Year Honours List of 1896.




 I have been here a few times and enjoy walking around the house and studio as there are many paintings on display in addition to Lord Leighton's paintings. One painting I was drawn towards was by Millais  Shelling Peas. A task that I have done many times. I do enjoy shelling peas and have done since a child begging my mother to let me do them!

 The outside is austere but inside is the famous  Arab Hall . Designed to display Leighton's priceless collection of over a thousand  tiles, mostly brought back from Damascus .




 Entrance to Lord Leighton's garden.

As some of you may remember in one of my posts I said that I would  venture off of the path straight ahead of me and explore those to the left or the  right and see where they lead. So instead of taking in another museum or art gallery I  entered a blue police box and flew the Tardis. Yes I did and what fun I had.

 The Tardis is a time travelling machine that transports the Dr. around time and space. The television series  started in 1963 and continues today.  I caught up with the Tardis at The Dr. Who Experience at Olympia (a short walk from Lord Leighton's House.)



The Tardis




  


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit to my blog. I checked back over some of your previous posts and really liked your Carpe Diem post. The poem by Robert Frost is a good reminder to us to follow our curiosity around the corner or up the hill. When I was in Italy this summer I sometimes was too tired to just walk a little farther and i regret those moments. I wonder what I might have seen a little further on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't claim to have ever watched "Dr Who", although I've heard great things from friend. He started watching while still living in England many years ago. He'll have to visit this site next time he's on your side of the pond. I look forward to your other new adventures this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day out....would LOVE to see the Tardis! And Leighton is a favourite of mine....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! From the sublime blues of Leighton's Arab Hall to the grubby blues of His impressive 'home' ... can you tell I'm a Dr Who fan ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Thank you so much for rounding up my evening in style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know much about Dr. Who but Lord Leighton's house looks pretty spectacular. I love brick buildings, so few of them here. Wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a 'Liebster Award'. Come visit my blog to find out the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful and most interesting place to visit. Such fun to see other places around the world that bloggers visit. Thanks for sharing. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your visits to two very different places! You are right...it is good to try something new!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh to have an entrance like that to my garden. The first building looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete