Monday, 30 January 2012

Meandering through Kent.

I had a very busy weekend. Saturday was spent in the Turner Contemporary Gallery in Margate as it was the first day of a new exhibition entitled Turner and the Elements. There were over 80 of JMW Turner's works on show. It was fabulous to see so many Turners especially those depicting Kent.

In his painting 'The New Moon, or I've Lost My Boat, You Shan't Have Your Hoop' (1840)  he has painted a scene in Margate with the Jetty and pier in the background. Also, with the sun in the sky and reflected in the water I thought it would   be suitable for  'Sun Lit Sunday.'



 Later on I met up with a friend of mine and we meandered around Sandwich.
The origin of the word 'sandwich' for an item of food is thought to have been named after the 4th Earl of Sandwich.( 1718-1792.) He is said to have asked for meat to be served between slices of bread, to avoid interrupting a gambling game.  I like to think that this was the origin of the sandwich.
 Some facts about Sandwich Kent
  • Sandwich was once one of England's main ports.
  • The Curfew Bell is still rung from St Peter's Church every night at 8 pm.
  •  Instead of the colourful robes that mayors usually wear on official occasions, the Mayor of Sandwich has worn black robes, ever since the French raid in 1457.
  •  It was one of the  Cinque Ports (established in 1155) 
  • Sandwich still has many original medieval buildings. 
  • The Open Golf Championships are regularly helds here  .(2011's was in Sandwich).
The following are photos taken from the town and from  points along the town wall  . It was raining when we set out but then the sun shone.




















15 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely walk/explore. It's one of the few parts of the UK I don't know at all, that stretch of the coast, I really must try and remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandwich is so picturesque, steeped in history and beautiful views wherever you look. The Turner exhibition is definitely worth a visit and runs til May, I believe. Catch it if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Turner. I took some of my finals exams at uni sat beside a Turner painting. Most inspiring although it didn't really help me get brilliant marks: more revision would have though ;-)

    Seeing your lovely pictures has made me feel quite homesick.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of my most favourite places. We have yet to go to the new exhibition, but fingers crossed for next week and you take a lovely picture of Sandwich - I always struggle with people getting in my way.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing about the Turner exhibition at Margate - I had no idea it was on!Will try and get there over half term, as well as Andy Warhol exhib at the De La Warr at Bexhill on Sea.
    Lovely photos of Sandwich - its such a lovely place isnt it? We spent some time there last summer and would love to go back as we missed visiting the gardens near the quay car park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking the fabulous Turner painting and for the wonderful photos of Sandwich. I can just dream about walking through the areas you've shown. Perhaps I'll be able to do so in reality on my next trek to your side of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures. They remind me of our visit to Mundesley where our daughter and family lived for a year nearly 6 years ago. It's a beautiful little village as is the entire countryside! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely photos of the town. Brick buildings are so eye catching to me since we rarely see them here, and the stone walls really caught my attention too. Looks like a wonderful day to walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures of such an interesting historic town. We love exploring places like this and finding out about their history. We have been to lots of places in Kent, but not Sandwich (yet). Loved hearing about the origin of the word 'sandwich' too!
    Enjoy your week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah this is part of the U.K I have yet to explore. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tour! I especially like the narrow walkways between buildings. You get the feeling there is something special just around the corner - and I'm sure there is!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie
    Mississippi, USA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photos of the town of Sandwich. I always like seeing other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing. The story of how the sandwich was started is interesting.
    Thanks for visiting my Winter Sunlight at My Little Home and Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, love the Turner, and especially interested in Kent as my son met his wife in Kent when they were over there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the BEAUTIFUL trip through Kent! The photos were wonderful and it was lovely to see such great "Kentish" places!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved looking at the great photos Meg.
    Thannks for posting.

    Hope that all is well with you and your family

    I am busy playing catch-up
    but being honest don't think I will ever catch up on all I have missed!!

    Glad to be back reading your lovely blog.

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete