Sunday, 22 January 2012

If the sun his beams display...

I am very happy as the sun is shining today through my windows into the kitchen. However, not just for that reason but because January 22nd  is St Vincent's Day. According to tradition dating back to Anglo Saxon times if the sun shines on this day then it bodes well for the year!

Remember on St Vincent's Day,
if the sun his beams display
Be sure to mark the transient beam,
which through the casement sheds a gleam
For 'tis a token bright and clear
of prosperous weather all the year.
(from Northumberland)


I  am linking with Karen at My Little Home and Garden for Sunlit Sunday

13 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of the sun on the hyacinth plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyacinths are so beautiful and fragrant. I have a white one in my living room, just starting to open. I like how the light shines through the leaves on yours and enjoyed reading your poem about St. Vincent's Day. You can now look forward to fine weather this year!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful rhyme! Let's hope it's proven right in 2012 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great macro shot of the hyacinth flowers and I can almost smell the sweet fragrance.
    I've not heard of St. Vincent's Day but we had bright sunshine all day today so I'm hoping for a wonderful year.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I can almost smell those hyacinths! Hope you had a good time in London - I just can't warm to that Olympics logo (urghh!). I love that word - Huffkin! They look like my sponge cakes which always come out with a dip in the middle - without use of thumb!

      Delete
  6. Really beautiful!
    Have a great day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fantastic photograph, and let's hope the sun does keep shining! Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog:-) Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that saying. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, and thanks for sharing the folklore - i do hope it comes true!
    Sunlit Sunday sounds intruiging, shall check that out!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I was busy packing on the 22nd, and am annoyed that I missed posting about St Vincent's Day, but glad to see you have noted it here! JUST a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such exquisite hyacinth pictures! Love the interesting folk lore.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fragrance of a hyacinth is heavenly..Your pictures are beautiful and I love the idea that sunshine on St. Vincent's Day brings good things all year long..Thank you for stopping by..hugs from Savannah.

    ReplyDelete