I love Down House and gardens in the village of Downe Kent. Charles Darwin lived here with his family for many years. Although, the house is great to go in , I make for the gardens first unless it's a rainy day.
Today it was sunny and the colours in the garden were splendid.
Would have loved to have sat here reading and drinking tea looking out to these beauties.
Yes, the sundial is working today.
In the walled garden are the fruit tress ,veggie plots and flowers for the house.
Hollyhocks just say to me ,Cottage garden.
Well ordered veggie plot.
The colourful chard.
Everyday Darwin would walk along 'the Sandy Path ' at the bottom of his garden to think. So I like to amble along here and think. If it was good enough for Darwin.......
I would like a potting shed like this
And a greenhouse like this. Today it was like a sauna. Just right for me. No thermals in winter needed.
What is this ? Well it is what is left of the tennis court that the Darwin family played on. I love to imagine those Victorians playing tennis in all their Victorian attire and the happy afternoons shared here.
Couldn't resist these Darwin House home grown goodies so invitingly displayed.
Nice touch the prices written on slates.
LOVED this post, I felt like I was also wandering around with you and LOOK at those pots, LOVE them all piled up like that.....and I also like the prices written on slates too, nice touch.
ReplyDeleteKaren
I loved this post too, feeling like I was there, seeing the delightful gardens with you. I do love potting sheds, and that one is a splendid example!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Helen x
I enjoyed the tour of the garden. I agree with your comment about hollyhocks; I planted some this year, but no blooms yet! I also really liked your photo through the archway. As for a walled garden, that always strikes me as such a wonderful thing -must be the influence of reading "The Secret Garden" when I was young.
ReplyDelete-Karen
Isn't that house and the gardens beautiful.. I loved it there too! You took some lovely photo's love the one with the arch.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely gardens. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete